Life Sciences Department
Barcelona Supercomputing Center
C/ Jordi Girona 29
08034 Barcelona, Spain
Tel: +34 934137729
Fax: +34 934137721
Current positionResearch Group Leader at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (Spain) since January, 2007.
- 1999 Ph.D. in Chemistry, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain
- 1994 M.S. in Organic Chemistry, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain
- 1992 B.S. in Chemistry, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain
Research and professional experience
- 2007-present: Director of the Protein Interactions and Docking research group in the Life Sciences Department, at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Spain.
- 2005-2007: Ramon y Cajal Researcher in the Molecular Modelling and Bioinformatics Unit, at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine, Barcelona Science Park, Spain.
- 2003-2005: Marie Curie Research Fellow in the Cristallography and Biocomputing Unit lead by Prof. Tom Blundell, The University of Cambridge, UK.
Work Area: Protein-protein docking simulations. Identification of protein interaction sites. Modelling of multi-protein complexes involved in signalling pathways. Analysis of binding mechanism. Drug design.
- 1999-2003: Research Associate in the Laboratory of Computational Biology & Drug Design directed by Prof. Ruben Abagyan, The Scripps Research Institute, USA.
Work Area: Prediction of protein-protein interactions by docking simulations. Soft protein-protein docking. Refinement of protein-protein interfaces. Drug design.
- 1999: Postdoctoral fellow in the Protein Folding & Stability research group directed by Dr. Javier Sancho, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain.
Work Area: Kinetic analysis of apoflavodoxin folding. Mutational analysis of side-chain interactions in apoflavodoxin.
- 1997: Scientist visitor at the research group of Prof. Ruben Abagyan, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical Center, USA.
Work Area: Rigid-body protein-protein docking simulations.
- 1995-1999: Predoctoral Fellow with Prof. Carlos Gómez-Moreno and Dr. Javier Sancho in the Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Celular, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain.
Work Area: Analysis of pairwise interactions in alpha-helices. Mutational studies on apoflavodoxin folding and stability. Protein engineering on electron transfer proteins. Formation of protein-protein complexes in electron transfer reactions.
- 1993-1994: Collaborative Research Fellow in the Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Celular, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain.
Work Area: Protein engineering applied to study the stability and folding pathway of apoflavodoxin.
See a complete list of my publications in:
- Ph.D. Thesis: Apoflavodoxin folding and molecular interactions in proteins: energetics and mutational analysis. Supervisors: Prof. Carlos Gómez-Moreno and Dr. Javier Sancho, University of Zaragoza, Spain (1999)
- Master's Degree Thesis: Study of some aspects of stability and folding pathway of apoflavodoxin from Anabæna PCC 7119 by protein engineering. Supervisor: Dr. Javier Sancho, University of Zaragoza, Spain (1994)
- 1993-1994 Collaborative Research Scholarship (Beca de Colaboración), MEC (Spanish Ministry of Science)
- 1994 Undergraduate Research Award (Beca Investigación desde las Aulas), University of Zaragoza, Spain
- 1994 Graduate Extraordinary Award (Premio Extraordinario de Licenciatura), University of Zaragoza, Spain
- 1995-1998 Predoctoral Research Fellowship (Beca Investigación FPI), MEC (Spanish Ministry of Science)
- 2000 Doctorate Extraordinary Award (Premio Extraordinario de Doctorado), University of Zaragoza, Spain
- 2003 Marie Curie Research Fellowship, European Commission
- 2005 Ramon y Cajal Program, MEC (Spanish Ministry of Science)
- 2006 Tenured Assistant Professor Research Accreditation in Life Sciences, AQU (Catalan Agency for the Quality of Universities)
- 2009 I3 Program Certification, MICINN (Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation)
More information of my research in the group web page at BSC.